Of all the accessories, one form that exemplifies the celebration of Indian bridal jewelry is the waist belt. Belly chain or waist belt is usually worn around the waist. The design differs from north to south India. A waist-belt is often referred to as Vaddanam, Oddiyanam, Kammarband or Kammarpatta based on different regions and cultures in India. Here our main focus is on vaddanams.
Vaddanam is basically a waist belt which is a must have for Telugu weddings. Gifted by her parents at the time of the wedding, it is compulsory for the Telugu bride to wear the vaddanam. The majority of Telugus reside in the states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana located in south India. The Telugu language is the most-spoken language in south India. In fact in a Telugu wedding, not only the bride, but you will find a good number of women and young girls flaunting their beautifully designed waist belts. Vaddanams are traditionally worn during festival days and major family occasions like marriages as a status symbol in south Indian and more specifically Telugu weddings. In fact, a Telugu marriage is rarely seen without a vaddanam on the bride's waist.
Let's take a peek at traditional south Indian brides clad in vaddanam's exuding an incomparable feminine charm on their wedding day-
A vaddanam is traditionally waist belts made in 22K gold and is tied around the bride’s waist to signify bonding with her new family. Studded with precious and semi precious stones, the waist-belt is often carved with images of Goddess Lakshmi, Lord Krishna and Lord Vishnu, to invoke protection and prosperity for the new couple.
Selecting waist chains:
- Choose the waist chain that suits your taste. You might like to take your personality, your outfit and the occasion into consideration.
- Make sure that the vaddanam is at least an inch or so bigger than the measure of your waist (make sure that you have taken measurement of your waist before buying a vaddanam.)
- For the belt vaddanams, the adjustability is usually 6 inches. So if your waist size is 32 inches, then order a belt vadaanam which can be extended up to 34 inches or more. This way you can use the waist belt for a long time.
At Totaram Jewelers, we offer exclusive collection of Kammarband, Oddiyanam or Vaddanam in latest and traditional designs. Our vaddanams are made in 22K gold with a high degree of brilliance and workmanship. Take a peek at our collection here- (click on the image to see the product details)
Vaddanam is one of the heaviest ornaments worn by a south Indian bride. The ideal weight for a vaddanam is 150+ grams of 22K gold. There are 2 types of vaddanams- one is the chain model and other more traditional model is a broad belt one. Lets look at the pros and con for each to get a better understanding-
Chain Model Vaddanam:
- The younger generation prefer the chain model and it is definitely more fashionable;
- There is scope for adjusting the waist length easily in the chain model. Even after many years of purchasing it, you can very easily increase or decrease the size to fit your needs or if you want to pass it on to your kids, the size can be changed to fit them;
- It is easier to store the chain vaddanam as it takes less space. Very easy to keep in bank lockers; and
- They are made in comparatively lesser gold weight and therefore, cost much less compared to the traditional belt style vaddanams.
- The wear and tear is higher in the chain vaddanam and therefore, it is less durable;
- The designs may very easily get out dated and not be in fashion any more; and
- It is easy for the chain style vaddanams to get entangled in clothes as the chains are relatively flexible. This is a major reason why these type of vaddanams are considered not very strong and durable.
Broad Belt Vaddanam:
- The broad belt designs are more traditional and evergreen in style-- they rarely go out of fashion;
- This type of vaddanam is more durable; and
- The broad belt style gives the vaddanam a more prominent and richer look.
- In the belt style, there is limited flexibility to adjust the waist length. Once the product is made, you cannot increase or decrease the size;
- The belt takes up a lot of space to store it, usually they do not fit in bank lockers unless you have a big size locker; and
- They are made in comparatively more gold weight and therefore, cost a lot more compared to the chain style vaddanams.
Both vaddanam types are equally popular and it is really an individual preference in style that dictates the purchase.