Diamonds are one of nature’s rarest and most beautiful substances. The first diamonds were said to have been discovered in India thousands of years ago. These stones have been used historically to adorn jewelry for royalty, the wealthy, and now are often used more popularly in traditional and ornamental jewelry for weddings, anniversaries and other special occasions around the world as a symbol of purity, love and affection.
Your diamond jewelry is some of the most beautiful and sentimental pieces you will ever own. You or a loved one have invested many hours poring over the various styles, quality and prices to find the perfect pieces. Once you do—you hope they will last a lifetime—and they should with the proper care.
There is a lot of information online about how to clean your jewelry, but not all cleaning methods work for every piece or every type of gemstone. Here are some important tips to help you care for your precious diamond jewelry:
Clean your diamond jewelry regularly.
- For diamond rings, diamond necklaces, diamond pendants, diamond earrings – We recommend you take your diamond jewelry for regular cleanings by your jeweler. Substances like lotion, soap, body oils, and dirt collect especially easily on cut diamonds and can be difficult to remove at home. Between professional cleanings, you can soak your diamond jewelry in warm water for about 30 minutes, adding a few drops of dishwashing soap to soften any grime and dirt. Rinse your jewelry under warm water and gently clean the diamond with a soft bristled brush (remember to close the sink drain before rinsing). Do not use harsh chemicals like bleach to clean your diamond jewelry. Bleach will have an adverse chemical reaction to the gold in your diamond jewelry. But you can use a few drops of ammonia in your soap solution if you need to remove tougher grime.
- For Uncut Diamond/ Polki Jewelry– We recommend you have these intricately handcrafted uncut diamond pieces professionally cleaned by a jeweler, especially if your piece has several different types of stones. The jeweler will know the right products and processes to use to ensure your heirloom jewelry stays pristine and lasts for generations.
Schedule an annual maintenance check.
- We recommend you visit the jeweler at least once annually to have your diamond jewelry inspected to ensure the prongs and mountings are not bent or worn, and that your stones are not loose or cracked. In between, we suggest you examine your jewelry each time you wear it to ensure the clasps are closing properly, your stones are secure and have no visible damage, and that there are no kinks or problems with your chains.
- Nothing is worse than purchasing an expensive and beautiful piece of jewelry and then having it stolen, lost or damaged without having the ability to fix or replace it. When you purchase your diamond jewelry, make it a point to get your jewelry’s value appraised and insured. Repeat these appraisals every few years, as diamond and gold values often increase with time.
- You will also want to receive a certificate of authenticity from the seller (preferably from a 3rd party laboratory) testifying to the quality of your diamonds. At Totaram Jewelers, most of our diamond jewelry products come with a certificate from the International Gemological Institute (IGI), an independent international grading and appraisal organization. (Suggested read: Why Buying Diamond Jewelry With Certificate Matters)
Store your jewelry properly.
- When you are not wearing your diamond jewelry, we recommend placing your jewelry in a safe, easy to remember location like a jewelry box or ring holder.
- When traveling, store your jewelry in a soft velvet or cloth case to ensure that it does not tangle or get damaged during your trip.
- Uncut Diamond Jewellery should be stored wrapped in thin cotton cloth in a safe location away from direct exposure to air to reduce the chance of a chemical reaction or oxidation.
Remove your diamond jewelry when completing household chores.
- When cleaning with harsh chemicals, it is important that you remove your gold and diamond jewelry to ensure it is not damaged in the process. Bleach can be harmful to gold, and porous stones such as pearls, rubies, emeralds, turquoise, lapis lazuli, etc. are susceptible to damage or to being dissolved by certain chemicals.
Do not spray perfume or other substances directly on your jewelry.
- Spray on your perfume before putting on your jewelry. Spraying it on after will not only turn your diamonds and settings into dust magnets, but it can also harm the gold itself—discoloring or turning it black.
Do not wear diamond jewelry during strenuous or water activities.
- Remove all jewelry that could be damaged by being hit or caught on something during strenuous sports activities, react with chemicals in the pool or jacuzzi, or just get dirty or lost. Though diamonds are one of the hardest substances known to man, a good knock could dislodge or even crack your stone!
Do not take off your jewelry in public.
- Sometimes it is tempting, especially as a new bride or groom, to remove your ring or jewelry in public to admire it, play with it, or to “protect” it from soap when washing your hands. However, this is a very easy way to lose or forget about your piece. Your jewelry is very precious and expensive; therefore, we recommend you wait to remove it until returning home to place it a secure location.
Do not store your jewelry improperly.
- It is easy to get busy and throw your jewelry down around the house, in a pile in your jewelry box or purse, or even forget where you placed it. Though not intentional, such treatment will not only tangle your jewelry, but it can also leave it vulnerable to oxidization and dust.
Do not wear diamond jewelry every day.
Some items like your wedding ring or a pair of earrings you may wear regularly, but we do not suggest wearing your fine jewelry every day. The more you wear your jewelry, the more cleaning and maintenance it will require to ensure it remains free from damage.
At Totaram Jewelers, you can find a large selection of lovely bridal diamond jewelry for women and men available in our shop. We hope that you will find the pieces that you have been dreaming of! Here are a few of our favorites: